Tuesday, June 28, 2011

June 8, 2011 Emails

Dearest Ones,

Well, you were right! The MTC is turning out to be the amazing adventure you said it would be. We feel so blessed to finally be here, where you once walked the halls, ate the Captain Crunch, slid down the bannisters, learned and loved, sang and laughed, and strengthened your own testimonies so that you could go out into the world to share the gospel. Each young elder or sister we pass on our many trips through these sacred halls, makes us think of you and your time here. We have met so many wonderful young and old missionaries and have loved getting to know them all. We entered the MTC with 31 other couples, so 64 of us have spent time each day together and we love being with them. We also have our own little district of 4 couples, and are taught by some great young people. There are many other large groups of senior couples and we have had time to visit with them during our meals. The weather these past few days has been so perfect, and we're trying to soak in the cool air and sunshine, before we head out to the hot and humid climes. We've had many moments where the tears flow freely, as we rejoice in the spirit we feel here. You really feel like you can reach out and touch it.

You kids know how it's always been an emotional event for us to sing "Call to Serve"....especially with each of you as we said our goodbyes to you here at the MTC. So last evening when we sat in the large hall for the Tues. evening devotional with Elder Kikuchi, where we could see all the missionaries in the hall, of course we could barely sing our hearts were so full. Yesterday afternoon, as we were finishing our last small group mtg., the young man who teaches us told us he was to take us to Elder and Sis. Stock's office (they're the member of the MTC Presidency over the senior couples). He didn't know why we had to go there, only that they had something for us. The Stocks took us to the mainl foyer of the MTC, where 2 sister missionaries and 2 elders were waiting (Dad, one of the elders was Bob Petersen's grandson). The told us that only two other times during their service at the MTC did they know ahead of time who the visiting authority would be. They said that Elder Kikuchi had requested to have a senior couple, a sister companionship and an elder companionship meet with him when he arrived. We didn't know what we were in for, but felt very honored that we had been chosen as the senior couple out of the hundreds of couples here. Elder Kikuchi met with the sisters first, for 15 mins. We began to wonder what was expected of us. Then we were called into the office, and he asked us to sit as the investigators, as these sister presented the Joseph Smith story (in the devotional). He said not to say anything negative, but to just listen and give a brief response when asked a question. Not to hard huh? We went to dinner, then to the meeting. At first they had us on the front row in front of the pulpit, but as the meeting started, they moved us off to the side. It was there that we had the wonderful view of the whole auditorium with it's thousands of beautiful young (and old) missionaries. When they started singing "Called to Serve", we realized we were sitting near the deaf missionaries, who of course signed the songs. The whole meeting was so wonderful, and to sit across from these young missionaries as they taught us, looking into their eyes and feeling their spirit will never be forgotten. We loved that today when we ran into them, they had to hug us....now such dear friends. The most meaningful thing we were taught by Elder Kikuchi, was that we all need our own sacred grove, and we need to go there every morning as we prepare for the day, as well as many other times.

Today we had hugs and greetings from all the members of the MTC Presidency (well, the hugs were from their wives). The President's wife told us that he had chosen us for that devotional experience. We thanked them again for that honor. Then she said to come take a peek into the hall where about 460 new missionaries were starting their meeting. We stood just inside the door by the front of the hall, and could look into their faces as they were singing "As Zion's Youth in Latter Days"...the tears flowed again. We had just happened to walk that way during a classroom break.I've got to go I'm losing battery. I'll be back for more later! Love you tons MOM

Sorry about that! We're plugged back in and I just finished paying a few bills on line. So....the rest of today was wonderful, but had it's stressful moments (or should I say hours). We had to teach an investigator this morning (not a real one, but she was a seasoned performer). We spent 45 min. with her, basically covering the restoration. It was a great experience, and I learned things I'll be careful not to do tomorrow when we do this again! Our teachers really have been wonderul, helping us to prepare (although I don't think 48 hours is much prep time). I accidently left my purse at the investigator's home (rm 9)...and it took a couple of hours before it showed at the security office....everything was still there...I guess if you're going to lose a purse, the MTC is one of the best places to lose it! Meanwhile, we went to eat lunch, and some how I chipped my front tooth (I wasn't even eating anything hard).....thankfully, Sheff Lloyd can see us Fri. afternoon after we're done for the day...crazy huh!

I've thought several times these past few days of Oliver Cowdery, when he said "Those were the days not to be forgotten....." (when he spoke of sitting, listening to Joseph translate, and of course as they experienced many great visitations, etc.) I know that we won't forget these days, and how we have felt. We love you all so much, and want you to remember how much we love the Lord and his wonderful gospel plan.....all of you are the best part of that plan for us. I'll promise Dad he can be the writer next time! Our prayers are constantly with you! MOM

1 comment:

  1. I miss you guys so much! I love you, and are very proud to say that my grandparents are in Nauvoo, on their mission!
    You are amazing, and I hope I can see you soon!

    ReplyDelete