Tuesday, June 28, 2011

June 22, 2011 email and pictures

Hi loved ones...It's Wed. afternoon and we finally have the internet...our very own internet...it's been a long couple of weeks!  Today we had our shifts at the sites from 9:00 til 3:00, so it's nice to have a few moments of down time.  We enjoyed our weekend...sacrament mtg. at 8 am, then we went and watched the Joseph Smith movie at the visitor's center.  We put a roast in the crock pot, and it was so wonderful!...good thing...with it being father's day!  At 1:00 pm we rode out to Carthage and enjoyed the tours there.  This next week is the commemoration of the martyrdom, and we'll be able to attend the services there at 5:00 pm.  Back home for our lovely Sunday dinner (apple pie/ice cream for DAD), then we attended our first Sunday sociable (which was more of a fireside, done by the young Sister missionaries....wow...pure spirit, and sunshine, in big doses).  A wonderful day.

Monday we had our orientation, met the doctor, theater people, etc.  We went on a 1 hour wagon ride around Nauvoo...they have 16 older elders who are teamsters...I think Jim would love serving here Fidgie.  Then after lunch and a few errands, we had our auditions for the shows.  Of course, with Steve, they could think of lots of vignettes they'd like him in...I didn't do too poorly myself, other than you know I don't like singing solo!  We found out last night that we're in the Heber C. Kimball cast, which we have seen perform a few times already.  There are 3 casts, with over 50 in each...gets a little crowded on that little stage, but it works!  What a great spirit....all of these willing missionaries....willing because the majority of them would greatly prefer to not be on stage...it really is fun...we decided if professionals did these shows they wouldn't be as wonderful as all us old farmer types struggling our way through. Over 210 senior missionaries right now, and half of them will be gone when fall and winter come.  I'm suprised that the majority of them only stay for one year or even 6 months (the summer).  We're still the "new kids"...one other couple is coming soon, then no one til the end of August, so I guess we'll continue to be the babies...we really are pretty young compared to many of them...we just don't move like we are.


Tuesday we jumped right in, our first day in our site clothing...we both served at the Family Living Center which I mentioned in my last email...I showed the candle making, bread making and spinning stuff.  Steve has got the barrel making down pretty perfectly (we don't actually demonstrate, but we explain all the steps).  You always tie in a little gospel message with each demo.  The script has some great helps that way.  We served from 12 to 6, and it was the longest 6 hours I can remember, even though it was enjoyable...it just went so slowly!  Both of us had our feet screaming at us, and our backs weren't too happy, but we survived.  Today was much easier!  We had a 9 to 3 shift...I was at the Family Living Center again and Steve was at the boot shop.  He had a great day, and loved every minute....we're happy and well, and feeling more at home each day.  Hopefully I can get a few pictures downloaded and on their way to you!  Love you all...MOM (Grandma, Darc, Darcella, Sis. McBride)












No comments:

Post a Comment