Friday, November 11, 2011

Jayden and the Savior

Hi everyone,
This is Elder McBride and I have a story.  Simple but touching to me.  A little over a week ago I was at the Blacksmith shop, and you all know by now that I love working there.  We only had one family visit that day, and it was a day where I was supposed to be somewhere else, but was changed at the last minute because of an illness of another Elder.

Parents and their two sons came in.  One son had just finished his mission to Independence, Mo. and the other was his 10 year old brother, Jayden.  Now Jayden could barely make it into the shop, struggling in on two metal crutches.  It was all he could do to get there (most of the time he is in a wheelchair. His short blonde hair was only exceeded in brightness by his big smile that lit up the room.  He is a bright kid and happy as can be despite not being able to run and jump, or throw a football, and do most other things that kids like to do.  He could be bitter and sad, but he is quite the opposite.  
Just before they arrived, I had just got the fire in the forge going and hot.  I decided to stay there instead of go back to the office and wait for guests.  It came to me that I should make a horseshoe in case another was needed that day.  I made it.  Then I thought that I should make another....then another.  3 extras.  Then Jayden and family came in 10 minutes later.  I did the whole tour, and at the end I made Jayden a horseshoe.  I asked who he thought should get to have it. (all kids want the shoe and some argue over it).  Jayden paused, then said that I should have it, because I made it.  That touched me deeply because I saw the love in his face, and the charity in his demeanor.  I said that I have one, and that I was making this one for one of his family.  He said he wouldn't feel right taking the horseshoe because it might make the rest of the family sad.  I thought about the three extras I had made.  I said, "Jayden, I want you to have this one, and I happen to have three more, one for each of your family."  He just smiled that big smile and said, "Thanks".
Jayden taught me a lesson in what it means to be Christlike.  He gives.  He helps.  He thinks about others before himself.  As a result, Jayden has a remarkable spirit about him.  It was easy to feel.

So when we get down and feel sorry for ourselves, think of Jayden.  He is simply Christlike.

No comments:

Post a Comment