Monday, July 4, 2011

Tender Mercies

Well, Mark is free from pain now, and we know he is rejoicing in his reunion with his Mom and Grandparents and other loved ones.  He fought a good fight, and kept the faith, and set a great example for all of us.  We keep Liz, Jenny and Miles in our prayers, that they will feel the peace and comfort that the Holy Ghost can give.


It's hard to be away from home at times like this, but we do feel the peace and assurance that the Lord is in charge and that he loves us all so much.  One of the many wonderful things about serving in Nauvoo is the spirit of this place, including the many missionaries here.  I was soaking up the beautiful morning a day or two ago, when the brass band (on their wagon) pulled up in front of the site I was serving at.  They played "If You Could Hie to Kolob" (one of my favorite hymns), and several other hymns...just for me and sister I was serving with...of course others soon joined us to listen, but it was like Mark was cuing the band to come play for me.  This has happened each day since then, and the songs are so appropriate for this sacred place (even the upbeat jazzy pieces they play)...lots of patriotic songs going on today (the 4th). 

This morning we had a flag ceremony in front of the visitor's center, with the brass band playing many patriotic songs...Steve offered the prayer...beautiful. We served today at the Pioneer Past Times  pavilion, where there's lots of toys and games and dress-up stuff for the youth...it's an amazing place, and between 9:00 and 1:00 we had over 120 people visit.  The band stopped by twice and played a children's marching song, and we would parade around the park with the kids.  Awesome place for the kids...it gets hard to sit and walk slow through all the tours  at the other sites.  Tomorrow the pageant starts, so the town is getting very busy.

Steve has been given the script, to start preparing to play the part of the Editor (the Narrator) in "Rendezvous at Old Nauvoo"..it's the lead...I'm happy that we're not doing the serious duet number... at least for now. 

Backing up, last Friday we had our monthly farewell breakfast.  We held it up at the outdoor stage where we do "Sunset By the Mississippi".  Each preparation group assigned food, and you filled your plates at your group's tables.   Then we ate on the benches...heard from those missionaries who are leaving in July...then we sing the song "Farewell Nauvoo" from "Rendezvous".  It was very touching...I was crying...feeling for those who have to leave this wonderful place...great!  I guess I have to go through that the first Friday of each month!  I don't think I'll sign up for the breakfast casserole very often (had to put it in the oven at 5:30 am)

Sunday we met with the mission president ( our two week check up, to see if we were adjusting, had any concerns, challenges).  He's a great man.  Pres. and Sis. Ludwig have now been serving here for almost 4 years.  We served together Sunday afternoon at the Brickyard, then had Sunday dinner and hurried off to the wonderful program "Our Story Goes On" that the leads of the Pageant put on each year.  So great to see so many of our theater friends as well as many "Savior of the World" family.

I guess that gets us caught up for now.  We are in "Rendezvous..." tonight...no fireworks around here, but our cast is bring snacky food so we can party between shows.  And yes, we love you tons!











 

No comments:

Post a Comment