Sunday, July 31, 2011

A Pageant to Remember

How did another ten days just fly by?  I'm afraid it's going to move even faster as our months here continue.  Heat?  Oh yeah, it's still here...some days better than others.  I think my hottest moments were this past week.  Our "Sunset By the Mississippi" show was performed outside on Friday, and I still don't like feeling dripping wet, my face beet red and my hair wet and wavy and stringy..I don't know why...hmm.  Then Saturday we served outside from 1-5 pm in a heat index of about 103, at the Pioneer Pastimes.  I don't understand how those kids and parents could have been having so much fun...and they were dressing in pioneer clothing too...then playing games.  I spent half my time sitting and melting.  This too shall pass.

We've had a couple of trips to the temple since our last post on this blog.  A session the Friday before, and initiatory work yesterday.  We still can't believe we're really here, and serving in that beautiful building.  Last Sunday we served together at Riser Boot Shop (pictures in a moment).  This past week we had the opportunity of serving together in the Nauvoo Visitor's Center.  We had a little clicker, to keep count of the people coming in.  We manned the phones, started the movies and tried to answer questions.  We get to serve there again tomorrow!  This winter when the young sister missionaries are sent to other parts of the U.S., we'll probably help with tours.

We had our theater (Rendezvous) debut on Thursday Evening.  Steve is the Editor (the narrator...the main lead), and I am the R.S. President.  We have some brief interaction..I have just a few lines before a fun song the R.S. sings.  Steve is busy through the whole show.  Our cast was very impressed with him...everyone seemed happy and excited to have him playing that role.  Pretty nice!

Friday was P-Day (smile!) and we went to Burlington, Iowa for a couple of errands, then went to see the last Harry Potter movie.  Loved it!!!  We then hurried back here and enjoyed going to the grove to hear the King Follett discourse (not all of it...about 15 mins worth), performed by the young actor who plays Joseph Smith in the pageant.

We enjoyed the pageant a couple of evenings this week...so sad to see all of those wonderful friends leave today...they're not only excellent actors, singers, dancers, etc.  But they have such a great spirit about them.  I know hearts have been touched this past month, as they have shared their testimonies every evening.  There's so many moments in the show that touch my heart and bring tears to my eyes.  We came here to lift and strengthen and plant testimonies of others, yet we have been fed spiritually all the day long, and especially at the Pageant.  What a blessing for our lives.

Today is Sunday....and we're "On Call"...which means we're off for today!  After church we spent time at the Lands and Records office, then drove around finding the lots where some of our ancestors lived.  We also wandered around the Smith cemetery by their property on the river.  Then we drove out of town and found the old Nauvoo burial grounds.  Blessings are coming at us left and right!  We can't thank our Heavenly Father enough for this opportunity!  You're in our prayers!

1 comment:

  1. I'll take a pair of olive green maryjanes in a size 7.5. Really soft leather, too.

    ReplyDelete