Saturday, July 2, 2011

Hot! Hot! Hot!


Can't believe another week is coming to an end.  It's been wonderful, and busy, and hot!  Monday we were able to leave Nauvoo by 4:15....they closed a majority of the sites, because everyone was headed to Carthage for the commemoration of the martyrdom of Joseph and Hyrum.  We took our plastic deck chairs and our water and hurried out there.  It was pretty crowded but we found a great spot under some trees, facing the window that Joseph fell from.  The Nauvoo Brass Band played several songs while we waited.  "A poor wayfaring man of grief" was thrilling to hear.  The ceremony was conducted by our mission president...The young sister missionaries sang "We Thank Thee Oh God for a Prophet", the young performing missionaries sang a wonderful song...something about two brothers...I've got to find out the name.  A man sang "Poor Wayfaring...." and President Spencer Condie, Nauvoo Temple president spoke.  He's amazing.  We're so grateful for the opportunity to have been there, remembering Joseph and his brother.

Tuesday we were scheduled together, and permitted to leave an hour early again, to do a temple session with our mission presidency.  They do that with each new missionary, then have pie and ice cream....we're doing the pie part in a few weeks when the last missionaries of the summer arrive.  What a beautiful temple...I still can't believe I was finally there...I loved thinking of all the wonderful things I learned in Matt's book "A House For the Most High".  Actually, we still can't believe we're retired, serving a mission, and IN NAUVOO!!!  We are thankful every minute for this great blessing.  We are soooo happy!

Wednesday Steve worked hard at the Brick yard.  I'm glad he didn't do the heavy lifting, but he gives amazing tours...testifies....and turns in referral cards more than just about anyone else around here!  Youth groups (EFY, etc.) come to the sites I'm serving at and say "Hey, are you married to Elder McBride over at the Brickyard (or wherever he's been)?  He's awesome !"  A group yesterday told me that they were outside singing, and he heard them and went out and joined them.  The youth love when these missionaries relate to them...of course you know he's always been wonderful with the youth!

Well, we're finally on stage...I still don't have my stage dress, but it's going to be beautiful.  It's a rust color, with a black, smocked bib sew on the front.  Pictures to follow!  Steve looks very sporting in his billowy white shirt, black vest and pants and shoes, and his black hat.  We also wear black capes in the last scene of "Rendezvous..."  For now we're happy to squeeze in behind everyone else...they keep saying they have been plans for us...I keep hoping I don't have to do any solos.  It was so hot today (the heat index was up to 113 with the humidity....yesterday was crazy too.  I think tomorrow night is supposed to cool down to the 60s.  Air conditioning makes me oh so happy....and all the sites have it...except "pioneer past times" which the doctor closed down yesterday.  Both tonight and last night it was still feeling like 90 after dark.  We're handling it pretty well...so far...our walk yesterday morning got quite warm (before 7) but we enjoyed it!  Tonight they took "Sunset..." inside to the visitor's center theater.  That made our cast very happy!

After the show, three other couples invited us to go to "Annie's" for frozen lemon custard w/ fresh raspberries...oh my goodness...we should not have discovered that place.  You know I can usually turn down ice cream...but this was too heavenly!  I may be dreaming of it tonight.  Two of the couples are Aggies...GO BLUE!  While we were sitting there, a bagpipe band opened the door and stood outside serenading us.  They're here to help with the Pageant.  We have learned now that you don't use P-day for laundry, house keeping, paying bills, mowing and grocery shopping.  You save that day for fun outings!  We're catching on...you just have to plan really carefully to fit those things in between sites and shows and meals!  It takes about 15 min. to iron one of my dresses, so that will take some careful planning.  

OK...so I have to share something funny that I found to send to Brynnli...those of you who know her, know that this fits her so perfectly.  It's a little plaque that says "I laughed so hard, the tears ran down my leg".  Steve's pretty sure that Brynnli will do exactly that when she gets this.

Well, sure hope you know how you are always in our thoughts and prayers...you are all so very dear to us.  Happy Birthday to Ian!! Our big 7 year old!  You know, you're growing up way too fast.  Have the best day ever!  Please continue to keep Mark in your prayers...Liz, Jenny and Miles, too.  For those of you who don't know, Mark has gone downhill this past week...hospice is there to help manage his pain, but it won't be long now.  What a blessing Mark has been in all of our lives, and we love him with all our hearts and pray continually for him.  I can't think of anyone I've known who has been more Christ like than Mark.  He's just like his Dad.  Well, have a wonderful weekend...Happy 4th!! Love Darcy and Steve

No comments:

Post a Comment