Sunday, August 14, 2011

Sunset for "Sunset..."

Yes, our summer show, "Sunset By the Mississippi", is over for the season.  We have happy memories of our cast performing twice a week (3 casts of senior missionaries, so our rotation was every third evening).  We just wore our site clothing, aprons or suspenders, straw hats (men),  and missionary badges for this show.  We had several numbers we were involved in, and then there were a lot of numbers done by the young performing missionaries.  We're so sad to see them leave...they brought such a light into our lives this summer.  They put on a talent show for us last Thurs. evening, which was delightful...sometimes we laughed, sometimes we cried as we were touched by the spirit.  After our show with them on Wed. night, we had a root beer float party with them and took lots of pictures.  It will seem so quiet and empty without them in town.  We'll miss the Nauvoo Brass Band that you could hear throughout the day, stopping in front of your site just to play for you...and serving with those young people in the sites was so fun, too.

I took my turn the past 3 days with a lovely (nasty) cold.  On Friday (P-day), we went up into Iowa again, visiting Cantril, Bonaparte and Bentonsport.  It was relaxing (which I appreciated) and fun to see some more historical sites.  I stayed home all day Sat. while Steve worked and performed.  I did feel up to laundry, ironing, crocheting and reading, so that was good.  I'm feeling much better today....went to church (Steve led the music in Sac. Mtg.) and then we were invited with a select few to go record all the songs from the two shows, for a new CD for the incoming missionaries.  I was surprised I could sing as well as I did with this cold.  It really did sound good...too bad we don't have all those good singers in one cast!!....but then again, the shows would probably lose their charm and spirit.

This afternoon we will serve together at the Pendleton Log Schoolhouse...then we have zone conference this evening...and a visit with the kids online!!!  We're looking forward to our cast party on Monday, as well as another great week serving here in old Nauvoo.


2 comments:

  1. Nothing worse than a summer cold! Feel better, Darcy! Emily found out last week that she is expecting twins in late February! We're so excited! That's 14 for us!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love those little chalkboards in the Log Schoolhouse. :) Similar to our little white boards nowdays, yet worlds apart. We start back this coming Wednesday. We'll sure miss you. So glad you are showing us how to Serve a Mission.

    ReplyDelete